The DBC is looking forward to working with the new Government on improving the benefit system which many disabled people rely on.
For too many years, the voice of disabled people has not been heard and this must change going forward.
We are therefore calling on this Government to finally address our concerns raised during the election campaign and ask that this Government:
- Ends the benefit freeze and uprates payments above inflation so as to restore the amounts lost during the freeze.
- Restores the disability elements in the benefit system.
- Reviews the current PIP assessment criteria and process, in consultation with disabled people.
- Ends the 5-week wait for Universal Credit.
- Removes sanctions on disability benefits.